Scott J. Newton Esquire
Scott J. Newton Esquire
Scott has been practicing law in Virginia since 1999. He is licensed to practice law in four jurisdictions, Virginia, Maryland, District of Columbia and Colorado.
Scott’s first four years were focused almost exclusively on bankruptcy law. Twenty plus years later, bankruptcy continues to be an integral part of his practice and focus. It is an area of practice that intersects with many other legal issues on regular basis. Not many attorneys practice bankruptcy, and when a bankruptcy related issue comes up, Scott is always willing to share his insights when other attorneys have questions.
Scott joined the Manassas Law Group in 2003, which is a great match that continues to this day. After joining the firm, his practice areas expanded to a wide variety of legal matters. His practice today consists of a mix bankruptcy, traffic, criminal and civil litigation. Having experience in several fields of law helps him spot issues and reach resolutions for his clients.
Scott knows that for many people it is their first time hiring a lawyer. Combine that with the fact that there is some legal problem they are facing, the potential client is usually anxious about meeting with an attorney. Clarity between the attorney and the client is the key to a successful relationship. Scott believes in explaining things in plain English, rather than legal jargon, and providing realistic expectations to the client. He will discuss the process, the fees, costs and the overall strategy. His goal is to listen to the client, figure out what is going on and help them achieve their desired goal and outcome.
Whether the strategy is litigating a case in court or finding some alternative resolution to a sticky situation, keeping the client’s goal in mind is foremost. Teamwork and collaboration at the office leads to better results for our clients. Scott enjoys his job and colleagues at the office. At the end of the representation, he wants each client to feel that it was a productive and value enhanced relationship.
In his free time he enjoys cooking and ends up washing a lot of dishes.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Business Reorganization
- Business Law and Litigation
- Contractor Litigation
- Lemon Law
- Landlord-Tenant Law
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Maryland
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- University of Wyoming, College of Law, Laramie, Wyoming
- J.D. – 1998
- Colorado State University , Fort Collins, Colorado
- B.A. – 1995
- Major: Political Science
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar Association
- Prince William Bar Association
- Fairfax Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Tyler, Bartl, Gorman & Ramsdell, P.C., Associate, 1999 – 2003